Paperback: 250 pages
Publisher: Association for Talent Development (October 7, 2015)
Interactive Training with 'Interact and Engage!'
Convince your online participants to tune in—and get them to interact and engage!
Virtual classroom training is here to stay, and web and video conferencing is ubiquitous. Interact and Engage! offers proven strategies for captivating your live online audience. With more than 50 interactive training activities ranging from openers and icebreakers to closers, virtual event and instructional design experts Kassy LaBorie and Tom Stone present a framework for igniting online training programs, meetings, and webinars.
Engaging online audiences can be difficult. This is true for novice instructional designers and facilitators—and for experienced ones. Learn how to break the mold of static lecture-style online training that drives participants to multitask or, worse, tune out. LaBorie and Stone cover all the steps necessary to remedy poor online training experiences and ensure that what you teach sticks.
Interact and Engage! 50+ Activities for Virtual Training, Meetings, and Webinars by Kassy LaBorie and Tom Stone, was published in 2015 by ATD Press. Purchase from any of these locations:
- Barnes and Noble
- ATD Press (the book’s publisher)
Free Book-Related Content
- Various pages from the book are available via the “Look Inside” feature at the Amazon.com page for Interact and Engage!
- The book foreword, introduction, and two of the activities are available as a PDF file from the ATD Press webpage for the book.
- See also the article “Interact and Engage!” (available to ATD members only), chock full of good content and tips, that we wrote for the January issue of TD Magazine.
- We also wrote two book-related blog posts at the ATD Learning Technologies Blog:
- Virtual Events: Engaged Participants vs. Disengaged Attendees (September 17, 2015)
- Virtual Events: Master the Tech So You Can Ignore the Tech (September 23, 2015)
A word from Kassy…
In 2015 I co-authored Interact and Engage! 50+ Activities for Virtual Training, Meetings and Webinars (ATD Press).
The book was my dream of a practical resource, much like a cook book full of recipes, that could be pulled off the shelf and used at any time engagement online was needed!
“This book is a treasure trove of wonderful, innovative, and captivating methods to capture learners’ attention during a webinar or live online session to truly create a meaningful experience. Learn how to transform dry, static content into lively and fun activities with learners to add engagement to your live online activities.”
—Karl M. Kapp Professor, Instructional Technology, Bloomsburg University and Author, The Gamification of Learning and Instruction
“The wisdom of this book can be found in one sentence, ‘designing live online training is so different from in-person training.’ Kassy and Tom have created a resource that will enable both new and experienced instructional designers to create engaging learning experiences. The real-world examples and scripting ensure success.”
—Nanette Miner, Author and President, The Training Doctor
“I love using the virtual classroom. But you must have great activities. With Interact and Engage!, I know that my upcoming webinars and virtual classroom sessions are going to be even better than before!”
—Patti Shank, Author and President, Learning Peaks